Convenient Assembly and Re-Assembly for Automotive Trim
Ideal for attaching automotive trim components, our 3M™ Dual Lock™ Reclosable Fastener SJ3221 provides a high-strength closure that is easy to assemble and just as easy to re-open and re-assemble, even hundreds of times. Moreover, the pieces audibly snap together with a satisfying click to form a secure, dependable and repeatable attachment.
Designed with hundreds of interlocking mushroom-shaped stems, this polypropelene fastener can replace conventional attachments such as screws or adhesives, which can be time-consuming to fit and assemble, may weaken the part, or are susceptible to vibration and weather extremes. A Dual Lock™ Fastener is constructed with polyolefin stems and holds tight regardless of high heat, cold, moisture or humidity. It is also an excellent attachment solution when vibration is an issue – not only does the fastener hold tight, but it actually reduces vibration and rattling.
Additional Features include:
- Fast assembly with no drilling or additional tools required
- Hidden attachment avoids unsightly mechanical fasteners on the show surface
- High temperature and solvent resistance
- Mushroom heads that allow flexibility in alignment for easy attachment of components
- Can be used to attach components before they enter the final assembly plant, thus helping to reduce the number of parts and the length of assembly time
- Combinations of stem densities and the engaged area provide adjustable and proportional engagement and disengagement forces
- An audible snap confirms that the part is correctly installed with minimal insertion force required by the assembly worker
When two pieces of 3M™ Dual Lock™ Reclosable Fasteners are pressed together, the stems flex and the mushroom heads slide past each other. After passing the opposing mating piece, the stems snap back into their original position and the opposing mushroom heads interlock. These fasteners can provide high tensile strength but can be opened by simply cleaving or peeling open the closure.
Alignment and re-alignment are easy and no special tools are required. This means that they can be used to attach components before they enter the final assembly plant, thus helping to reduce the number of parts and the length of assembly time.
Combinations of stem densities and the engaged area provide adjustable and proportional engagement and disengagement force. Dual Lock™ fasteners are offered in three different densities (stems per square inch): 170, 250, and 400. Our Reclosable Fastener SJ3221 has 250 stems per square inch, and can be mated to Types 17, 250, or 400.
Dual Lock™ Reclosable Fasteners can replace conventional mechanical fasteners in a wide range of assembly and attachment applications where reclosability is desired. Dual Lock™ fasteners are used primarily to secure rigid and semi-rigid surfaces such as trim or door panels, instrument panel bezels, headliners, and other automotive interior and exterior trim. Some examples of applications include:
- Trunk liners
- Door panels
- Toll transponders
- Vehicle headliners
- Interior lighting
- Window and door trim
- Vibration and sound dampening control
- CHMSL – Center Height Mount Stop Lamp – cover plates
- Center console flanges
3M Science Delivers Closures You Can Count On
3M™ Dual Lock™ Reclosable Fastener are ideal for many applications where a high strength, reclosable fastening system is required. 3M engineers have uniquely combined physics and materials science to bring the automotive industry reliable fasteners that supply high performance even after exposure to ultraviolet radiation, high moisture levels and wide temperature ranges. For applications that require a key hole slot pop-in piece and multiple closures, look no further than the long-lasting durability of our 3M™ Dual Lock™ Reclosable Fastener SJ3221. It is yet another outstanding example of how 3M technologies advance operations in the automotive industry, providing both ease of use and superior results.
- Helps reduce vibration for long-term performance
- Secures with an audible snap for closure verification
- Resistant to high temperature and solvents, ideal for automotive applications
- Reduces the rattling and vibration of components